of the Namespace series introduces over ten thousand surnames from medieval and ancient times. Names were collected from numerous European countries. The results are an eclectic collection I desired for inspiration.
was also updated to correct several small formatting issues overlooked in the initial release. The list of names was not modified.
I finally finished putting together the list of names I collected. When it comes to names, I often need inspiration. Others I play with occasionally have similar shortcomings. To fill the need, I set out to collect a few names and toss them together into a document. Browsing a list is often more inspirational. The end result is Namespace.
Thecontains around 10,000 names. A few of the names are common. Others are famous. Both are surrounded by hundreds of others.
(White on white doesn’t make for the best cover image, but its printer friendly.)
I’ve been tripped up by that question numerous times. Names are not something I spend a lot of time considering other than for player characters and important non-player characters. Most of my players are happy with just knowing it was the bartender at the inn. Others want a name to put to the persona, rightly so. For modern games, names are easy. Fantasy games take a little more thought.
I tend to slack when I should be prepared with that information. To alleviate my name-blanking and prepare to name a few NPC’s downstream, I went on a 3 hour mission to collect some fantasy sounding names. Mostly its comprised of medieval and ancient names from a variety of sources.
I was aiming for about a thousand unique names for both males and females. After a quick unique sort, I ended up with 4450 female names and 6388 male names. Some of them are going to get discarded quickly with actual editing. Many of them are variations of the same name. I don’t mind variable spellings.
I did not bother collecting surnames. They can wait for another data archiving frenzy.
Now I can point my man, Wheels, toward a list of names he can use for inspiration. Maybe I’ll release the edited archive for $0.99.
When I originally coded the Labyrinth Lord Monster Generator, I wanted a simple and easy to use utility for generating quick wandering monster stat blocks. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking of expanding it into a book-on-demand supplement similar to the Treasure Book. The heavy lifting is already complete. The monster generator already pulls in the treasure routines. Not to mention, I have a working example for converting data into PDF on the fly.
The lingering issues are matching wandering monster tables and crafting NPC parties, which I touched upon earlier. The issues are achievable. I am not convinced it would be generally useful to others, let alone certain I would personally use it.
The largest obstacle is the latency required to convert the output of the utility into PDF. After spending hours trying to make the treasure book more efficient, I’ve determined it is simply computationally expensive. Like everyone, I hate waiting. Anything chugging away for minutes at a time is going to get skipped, more often than not.
Layout is a challenge within code. It is far easier to use a modern editor than to encode the layout details. Frustration mounted just trying to insert a simple cover page for the treasure book. A book of random critters would be no different. Perhaps I should just hand craft a few books.
I’m leaning toward passing on automation.
Numerous bloggers have offered, I got mine from Total Party Kill. Thanks once again.
After joining, it appears I can send invites as well. All it appears to take is an email address. If you haven’t yet gotten one from someone else, I’m happy to send one along if Google still has it open. Appears they are rolling more into an infinite beta product so perhaps it will stay open for a while.
Here here to the flood of invites available and to the spirit of sharing. Just drop a comment (or hit the contact link) with an email address and I’ll send one along as soon as I can.
The chaos monkeys decided I needed a new grill today. Wings were the first thing on the menu.
Neither fast or delivered, a batch of these wings will disappear instantly. I started with the Barbecued Buffalo Wings recipe from Simply Recipes. Grilled at low heat for around 90 minutes. The slow cooking and continual basting bakes in the flavor while mellowing the spice. A last minute coating of the sauce brings back the zest.
I updated the generation routine to insert the full page cover image from David. So half of the process is completed. I still need complete the layout for Gate of Smoke’s image, which is a bit trickier, since I have to add some of the cover elements in addition to his image. I should have Gate’s variant completed by the weekend if I don’t get visited by chaos monkeys. I have a much better understanding of how to approach fixed element layouts now. Obviously, when I have his variant encoded, the resulting cover will be randomly selected.
While adding the cover feature, I discovered the process chews up a significant amount of memory during the layout process. More memory than the hosting company allows. On demand books will now be generated on the venerable old pack mule, moosh.net. Users shouldn’t notice a difference other than an additional bit of latency while the data is transported over the crappy DSL connection. If you need it quick, grab one of the seven archived books, which are updated daily.